Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I've Created a (Cleaning) Monster


TODAY'S ACTIVITIES:
  • Transferring
  • Using a Dropper
  • Pouring
  • Hardware Puzzles
  • Dusting
Not much new or exciting happened in homeschool today. That's not to say that my son and I didn't enjoy ourselves--scooping beans together was an absolute blast--but we didn't really do anything I'd call newsworthy. And no, I haven't finished the dressing busy board yet...

Although I'm undoubtedly much better at keeping quiet while my son is working than I was at the start of our homeschooling adventure, I still struggle with the need to stay muzzled. I don't speak unless spoken to while Parker's actually working on an activity, but I realized this morning that I have an annoying habit of verbally prodding him whenever he pauses in his endeavors. "How are you doing? Are you finished with this activity? What do you want to do next? Do you want to do the clothespins next?" Blergh. The poor kid is just sitting back for a minute to take a break, maybe even to reflect upon what's been doing. We all do that from time to time while we're working; isn't that what the office water cooler is for? And I, his meddling mother, can't give him a moment's peace. OK, it's not as bad as all that, but still. I need to stop with the interrupting already.

It occurred to me the other day that there is one activity Parker has yet to revisit: folding. I presented it to him on the first day of school, using old washcloths upon which I'd drawn lines to guide him in the folding process. I dutifully bring out the washcloths along with all our other school supplies every time we do school, but they just sit there on the shelves, ignored. Since I'm still struggling to reign in my interventionist tendencies, you can bet that I've encouraged (well, maybe even nagged) my son to try the folding activity again. No dice, he is the opposite of interested. (Probably my repeated prods haven't helped here.) So much for getting a little help with the laundry.

Speaking of getting a little help around the house, you might have noticed that my son does a lot dusting, most often at the end of our "school day." This is not because I'm trying to train him to be my own little Cinderfella. Parker really just loves to dust. I'm pretty sure a big reason why is that I bought him an old school feather duster (made from neon blue feathers, no less)--I didn't think he'd get as much of a kick out of a Swiffer. He probably also enjoys the opportunity to get up and move around, after more than an hour of sitting, doing schoolwork. While he was dusting on Monday, I decided I'd do a little sweeping. (I try to "do school" with him whenever I can, so my son doesn't feel like he's on stage while he's working, performing school activities for my viewing pleasure.) Parker at that point told me that I should really just get the vacuum out; apparently I'd let the floors get so dirty that my preschooler didn't think a broom could get the job done. Today while he was bouncing around the room, dusting stuff, he started commenting about all the dust he was finding. "Even there's dust behind my books, Mommy! Even there's dust under the bookcase, Mommy! Mommy! Even there's dust on the chairs!" Of course, I realize that he's three. He wasn't purposefully criticizing my housekeeping skills; he was merely making observations. But it's not so great to hear your kid tell you how dirty the house is. "Yes, Parker, I know. There's dust everywhere, all the time. Everything's always getting dusty, all day everyday. Even your books. Even the chairs." I don't think I'll point out to Parker the cobwebs on the ceiling, or the lizard poop on the counters.

No comments:

Post a Comment